Monday, January 14, 2013

Project 52/2

Project 52|TWO
Monday,January 14, 2013
Let Her Be...!
(Sometimes we can make life overwhelming for our little ones)



I have never underestimated my Nugget, but I believe I have overwhelmed her & in doing so, her stuttering has progressively gotten worse. This week I learned a valuable lesson; Less is sometimes necessary. Less toys, less direction, less questions, less demanding less less less! In wanting to teach & show her everything this world has to offer (& show the world what she has to offer, because we are so proud of her) we have somewhat short circuited Nuggets mind. Her Papa & I decided to take a step back & Let Her Be! Let me repeat that so it sinks into my head; Let Her Be! Let her be the guide to her day, let her sit in a cozy corner with her books  & my pillow & not ask her any questions. Let her play without the constant questions (what's this? Who's that?) every 10 seconds, let her show me what she wants to explore.
 
In hindsight I did miss a few signs she was being overwhelmed.Waking up in the middle of the night, acting up a bit & not eating allot. Thank God we caught on early & immediately took a step back and remembered that everything will come in due time. First thing I did was clean out & stored 80% of her toys in plastic bins. I will be rotating them every two weeks.  Also, i decided to put a large piece of duck tape over my chatty mouth, so that I don't get temped to ask her a million questions. Not really but you get the picture:). Don't get me wrong; it will not be a free for all in the house, she still has her schedule and if she does something wrong I will tell her it is wrong & show her what is right.
 
After fixing those two small kinks in our parenting/teaching approaches, what would you know?.... Nuggets anxiety & stuttering diminished a great deal. We are still going to keep an eye on things and maybe take her to get a simple checkup. She has always been happy & chatty, & still is but now does not seem so overwhelmed with toys or questions.

 

 
 
This week she was obsessed once again with Happy Faces "Mama Pinta Happy Faces"she wanted us to draw happy faces all the time. She also had fun putting a diaper on a puppet of Big Bird (no butt or legs) "Mama A Poner Pamper A Big Bird". Oh, let me not forget her request for wipees to clean big Birds butt and anyone else who was around. "Mama Guipee Pa Limpiar a Big Bird".
 
So this week concluded with some concern lots of laughter, relaxation & a great lesson.
 
 
 "When You Know Better You do Better" -Maya Angelou
 

                            

....Now thats a happy baby!....




 

No comments:

Post a Comment